Esther is having a bit of a hard time at the moment. She's been crying, more like sobbing actually, every night and every morning about going to school. She cries at school because she wants her mummy. When I pick her up she's fine but I don't really know what to do about it. I think it's really just the free time like lunch and play time that she starts to feel sad. I know exactly how she must be feeling because I can remember feeling exactly like that at infants school myself, don't that say that parents attributes are exacerbated in the kids? I can't remember how I got over it so I'm not really sure how to help her. She thinks it's not fair that Eliza gets to stay at home so I remind her that when she was 2 she stayed at home too. (Eliza started preschool a couple of weeks ago just for one morning a week and loves it, don't think I blogged about that one... second child syndrome)
After about 2 hours of crying about it this evening I said we had to make a plan. It's not that she doesn't like school, she just misses me and feels that when she gets home there is hardly any time to spend together. So this was our deal: Esther tries to stop crying and feeling sad and I or Ben will come and have lunch with her once every other week at school (the school encourages parents and even siblings to come for lunch sometimes with the children) and after school (this requires a bit more organisation on my part...) we'll have dinner asap so there is more time to relax and spend time together before bed.
Any one got any ideas?
1 comment:
I've had a blog post in my head right now that I might get around to writing someday...about finding kids "buttons". It's all about brainstorming and trying everything you can think of until you hit on the one thing that really motivates them. Here's my kids so far...maybe they will give you an idea.
kid #1: any type of physical reward (dollar store gift, sticker charts, present, etc) We have her work towards a reward when we're trying to shape and mold behavior.
kid #2: control issues--this was HUGE to figure out. When Maya doesn't want to go to preschool I try to give her control in a different way-- like if she will go without a fit she can choose what to eat for dinner that night, or what time to go to bed (from 3 choices) I think she feels like she's losing control when I push her into something so this really helps!
kid#3: my "loves-life" kid is motivated by anything fun. Recently if she stayed in bed all night she got to go to a park of her choice the next day. 2 weeks of daily trips to playgrounds paid off...After 2 years of waking up at night she's finally sleeping through the night!
Don't know if that will help? It sounds like you're on the right track--figuring out something for her to look forward to that involves time with you sure sounds like it should motivate. It sure does tear your heart out though! Good luck!
Post a Comment